Shut Up and Dance
The song's definitive 80s feeling is reminiscent of U2 mixed with every other synth-laden, neon-wearing, jean-jacket-having song you can think of. However, it's catchy and the 80s are in style again (for some reason), so we'll all sing along.
Did you know?
- This song is based on a true story! During a break from recording, the band went to a club where a girl grabbed lead singer Nicholas Petricca's arm and told him "Shut up and dance!"
- “Shut Up and Dance” is the hit single from the band's third studio record, entitled Talking is Hard.
- Bassist Kevin Ray is credited as the band's bassist, a vocalist, and "casual rainstick" player.
- “Shut Up and Dance” hit an all time high on the Billboard Hot 100 chart with a position of 4.
- In a scientific study of Billboard hits, "Shut Up and Dance" is stated to be so popular for two reasons: its simplicity and its repetition. "Shut Up and Dance" is repeated 12 times in the song!