Reminiscent of the line dancing songs we all know (and some love) from sweet sixteens and weddings, Silento's hit instructs the listener to watch him whip, then nae nae. Later, we're told to do the stanky leg. Also included are duff and superman. If you know how to do any of these dances, I'm sure you're in for a good time.
Did you know?
- Silento first wrote the song while he was in school. It was originally recorded as a 15 second video posted to his personal Instagram. After receiving a warm reception, Silento chose to turn “Watch Me” into something more.
- Bolo Da Producer is credited with coming up with the beat for the song. Silento claims that it took less than an hour for them to finish the completed product.
- “Watch Me” was nominated for Song of the Summer at the MTV Video Music Awards, but ultimately lost out to 5 Seconds of Summer's “She's Kinda Hot.”
- The song first charted on the Billboard Hot 100 in March of 2015, steadily climbing until it peaked at No. 3 in August.
- The popularity of “Watch Me” resulted in throngs of fans filming themselves dancing along; Silento has stated his favorite videos are the ones where parents dance with their young children, as well as a video that involved a man jumping out of a car and into another one.