Shawn Mendes has felt heartbreak, but nothing quite like what his ex did to him. Blindsided completely, he's left with nothing but pain and his sugary-sweet voice, which he uses to express how crestfallen he is. This is the worst thing in the world, probably, but he knows he'll be okay if he can just accept the fact that you're gone. Still, being alone is pretty hard for him, especially when he needs all this stitching up. My advice? Pick up the needle and thread and learn how to sew yourself up, Shawn. In fact, do it to the infectious beat of this song. You'll be better in no time.
Did you know?
- Mendes has stated that the content of the song, which focuses on “feeling heartbroken and emotionally beaten up” can be applied to any type of relationship, not necessarily the end of a romantic one.
- “Stitches” became Mendes' first single to reach the top 20 on the Billboard Hot 100; after a little over two months on the chart, it finally broke through in its 14th week.
- "Stitches” is the second single released off of Mendes' debut album “Handwritten.” The album itself reached No. 1 on the Billboard 200, making Mendes the youngest artist to top the chart in half a decade.
- The song earned Mendes a nomination for Male Artist at the 2015 Teen Choice Awards. He ultimately lost to Ed Sheeran.
- Following the success of “Stitches,” fellow Canadian pop singer Justin Bieber admitted to not knowing who Mendes was in a radio interview. Following the interview, Bieber made good on his promise to check out the song, and ended up giving Mendes a shoutout on his personal Instagram (including the hashtag #canadiansdoitbetter).