Schoolboy Q’s working on a really awesome song, cruisin’ right along but he can’t get this girl off his mind. It’s hard to keep his mind on his work as he keeps dreamin’ about all the things he’s gonna do to her when they get together.
Did you know?
- Since being released to radio, it has peaked at number 38 on the US Billboard hot 100 chart, becoming his highest charting single on that chart as a lead artist. It also topped the US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Airplay chart.
- Quincey Matthew Hanley was born October 26, 1986 on a military base in Wiesbaden, Germany and is better known by his stage name Schoolboy Q.
- Hanley is also a member of West Coast hip hop group Black Hippy, alongside his label-mates and fellow California-based rappers Ab-Soul, Jay Rock and Kendrick Lamar.
- When his parents split up and went their separate ways his mother chose a surname for him at random, which is why no one else in his family shares his last name.
- He claims to have been playing American football from the age of six years old, up until he was 21. Hanley played receiver, cornerback, and tailback, and in college he played receiver and returner.
- As to how he came up with his stage name: "When I was in school, all the homies called me Schoolboy. I wore glasses and I had a 3.3 in high school, before fucking up my senior year gang-banging. My name's Quincy, so I just stick to Schoolboy Q.
- Growing up on Hoover Street, Hanley joined a street gang called the 52 Hoover Crips: "I was gang-banging at 12. I was a Hoover Crip. My homies were doing it and I wanted to do it. I can't really explain that. I didn't get into it with another hood or anything like that. I was just following the leader."
- Before turning to music, Hanley became a drug dealer selling Oxycontin, and for a short time crack and marijuana.
- Schoolboy Q has said he wrote his first verse when he was 16, but wasn't serious about music until he was 21.
- ScHoolboy Q cites American East Coast rappers Nas, 50 Cent, Jay-Z and The Notorious B.I.G., along with West Coast rappers Kurupt and 2Pac, as artists who influenced him.