The singer’s losing sleep at night because he’s dreaming of all the things that they could be if they weren’t worrying about money. Life would be so much more enjoyable if they didn’t have to worry about “counting dollars”. “The lessons I learned," "Make that money only to watch it burn."
Did you know?
- The song was written by lead singer Ryan Tedder, and produced by Tedder and Noel Zancanella.
- The song has been one of the band's most successful singles, reaching No. 1 in many countries including Canada and the United Kingdom, No. 2 in the United States, and top ten in 20 countries.
- The music video was filmed on May 10, 2013, in New Orleans, Louisiana, and premiered on May 31, 2013. The video features the band performing the song in a gloomy ground floor of a building surrounded by hanging light bulbs – which is interspersed with scenes of several people in a religious revival service on the upper floor. At the end of the video, one of the people in the service falls through the floor, coming through the ceiling of the room the band is performing in.
- Tedder started writing this song while waiting for Beyonce to turn up to a studio session, about a month after starting to write Love Runs Out.
- OneRepublic is an American pop rock band from Colorado Springs, Colorado. Formed in 2002 by Ryan Tedder and Zach Filkins.
- The first incarnation of what evolved into OneRepublic formed in 1996 after Ryan Tedder and Zach Filkins befriended each other during their senior year at Colorado Springs Christian High School in Colorado Springs, Colorado. During a drive home, as Filkins and Tedder discussed favorite musicians including Fiona Apple, Peter Gabriel and U2, they decided to put together a band. They enlisted a few musical friends and named their rock act This Beautiful Mess.
- Zachary Douglas "Zach" Filkins is the groups lead guitarist. A significant part of Filkins's childhood was spent intensely studying classical guitar in Barcelona, Spain. He is fluent in Spanish.