A catchy trumpet line kicks this song off before OMI's soothing voice comes in to tell us all about his queen. She's strong and she's pretty, and well, she's a cheerleader. OMI then launches into the catchy chorus, in which he describes all the other women who are trying to make him cheat on his cheerleading queen. He resists, of course, because who needs that when you've got that one magical girl? Not OMI. Now all that's left to do is pop the question.
Did you know?
- The original version of “Cheerleader” was released in 2012 and was a hit in OMI's native Jamaica.
- “Cheerleader” was rereleased in 2014, when Felix Jaehn remixed the song. It's since become an international hit, reaching the number one spot on Billboard's Hot 100.
- “Cheerleader” has three music videos in total - two for the original song, and one for the Felix Jaehn remix.
- The genre of “Cheerleader” has been described as "Deep House," "Reggae Fusion," and "Electro-Ska."
- OMI first started writing “Cheerleader” in 2008. He claims he woke up one day with the melody in his head.