The narrator and his lover are drawn to each other, like animals. She can find another 'fish in the sea' "but you can't stay away from me." She can try to hide but she's his prey and he will smell her scent from miles away and hunt her down. "Just like animals/Animals/Just like animals."
Did you know?
- A snippet of the song was previewed in a Kia Soul commercial, published on August 21. For a limited time after the commercial premiered, the song was available for free download on the Kia website.
- "Animals" has peaked at number 54 on the US Billboard Hot 100, number 45 on the Canadian Hot 100 and in the top 40 in India, the Netherlands, Portugal, Sweden, Hungary, Spain, Bulgaria, and Slovakia as of September 12, 2014.
- Maroon 5 is an American pop rock band that originated in Los Angeles, California. The group was formed in 1994 as Kara's Flowers while its members were still in high school.
- The band won the Grammy Award for Best new Artist in 2005 after having split up in 1997 and regrouping in 2001.
- Adam Levine was introduced to Ryan Dusick by a mutual friend and aspiring guitar player, Adam Salzman. Levine was seven years old and Dusick was nine.
- Levine attributes his mother's idols--Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, and, most notably, The Beatles--to shaping his musical style, calling them "a huge part of my upbringing."
- The band has cited Michael Jackson, The Police, Talking Heads, Aaliyah, Oasis, Shabba Ranks, and Prince as influences.
- Lead guitarist James Valentine is an Eagle Scout. He was the president of his high school's (Lincoln Southeast High School) student council in Lincoln, Nebraska.
- Drummer Matt Flynn replaced original drummer Ryan Dusick in 2004. He has played drums for The B-52's, Chicago, Gavin DeGraw, and Gandhi.