Mø proclaims that all we need is somebody to lean on. She reminisces about the good times, when all that mattered was caring for one another. In the chorus, she says "Blow a kiss, fire a gun." What does it mean? Maybe she's talking about hostility between exes. Sometimes, love can feel like a war.
Did you know?
- “Lean On” was the first single released for Major Lazer's third studio album Peace is the Mission.
- American producer Diplo, a member of Major Lazer, revealed that he originally approached Rihanna and Nicki Minaj to do vocals on the track, but they both turned down the opportunity.
- The official remix of “Lean On” features hip hop and R&B artist Ty Dolla $ign; Diplo has been cited saying the two met through Twitter.
- “Lean On” was originally written as more of a “loose reggae song,” according to Diplo, which he felt didn't fit on the album because the tempo was too slow. He ended up reworking it at a faster tempo, then asked DJ Snake to remix it and add the post-chorus hook.
- The music video was filmed in Maharashtra, India. The group selected India as the location because Diplo was humbled by the beauty of the country, and they wanted to pay homage to the positive energy of their fanbase there.