Boy meets girl and falls in love. Boy finds the courage to ask the girl’s father for the girls hand in marriage only to be told, “No." Boy responds, “Why you gotta be so rude? Don’t you know I’m human too?” Boy professes his undying love and swears they’ll marry anyway.
Did you know?
- "Rude" was named after the reggae term "rude boy" and originally based on a real-life situation. The lead singer of Magic!, Nasri, had been in an unhealthy relationship with a previous girlfriend. One day after an argument erupted and she became harsh, Nasri began singing the lines "Why you gotta be so rude/ don't you know I'm human too" in what he describes a "dark vibe." However, the concept did not work with the band well so it was revised and eventually made into a man talking to the disapproving father of his lover.
- “Rude” peaked at #6 on the Canadian Hot 100, made the top 10 in Austrailia, New Zealand, the Netherlands and Sweden, and was a chart topper in the United States and the United Kingdom.
- How was the name Magic! conceived? “We began recording, and the sound was so locked in on every song,” Nasri has said. “That’s even where we derived the band name. Everything simply worked like MAGIC!”
- Lead singer, Nasri Atweh, has written songs for Shakira, Iggy Azalea, Pitbull, Justin Bieber, Elliot Yamin, Akon, Christina Aguilera and Michael Bolton just to name a few.
- Guitarist Mark Pellizzer has played for Canadian-American singer and songwriter Justin Nozuka.