Cloaked in a minimalist beat and a high-pitched staccato synth, Katy Perry declares that her love will make you levitate, but warns that you'd better not get on her bad side because she's capable of anything. Juicy J knows first hand--he tried to hit and quit it, but Kit-Kat is so dope Juicy got addicted.
Did you know?
- "Dark Horse" has been a commercial success, charting at number one in Canada, the Netherlands and the United States. It also reached the top ten in almost 20 countries including New Zealand, United Kingdom, Sweden and Venezuela.
- The song was part of a competition sponsored by Pepsi in which fans could vote via Twitter to decide whether "Dark Horse" or "Walking on Air" would be released as the first promotional single off Prism. "Dark Horse" won.
- The song has sold 7.2 million copies worldwide, becoming one of the best-selling singles of all time.
- The song's first major television performance was at the 56th Annual Grammy Awards on January 26, 2014.
- Katheryn Elizabeth "Katy" Hudson, better known by her stage name Katy Perry, was born October 25, 1984 in Santa Barbara, California, to Pentecostal pastors Maurice Keith Hudson and Mary Christine Perry.
- Growing up, Perry and her siblings were not allowed to eat Lucky Charms as the term "luck" reminded their mother of Lucifer, and had to call deviled eggs "angeled eggs."
- She briefly performed as Katheryn Perry to avoid confusion with actress Kate Hudson. She later adopted the stage name Katy Perry, using her mother's maiden name.
- "Dark Horse" was released as the album's third single on December 17, 2013, and became her ninth number-one single on January 29, 2014.
- She cites Queen’s frontman, Freddie Mercury, as her biggest influence. She also includes the Beach Boys, The Beatles, Alanis Morissette, Gwen Stefani and Björk.
- Perry lists Gwen Stefani, Shirley Manson, Chloë Sevigny, Daphne Guinness, Natalie Portman, and the fictional character Lolita as her style icons.
- On social media, Perry surpassed Justin Bieber as the most followed person on Twitter in November 2013. In January 2014, she became the first person to gain 50 million followers on the site.
- Throughout her career, Perry has won two American Music Awards, four MTV Video Music Awards, fourteen People's Choice Awards, and two Guinness World Records for her work as a recording artist.