Take Me To Church
After breaking up with his first girlfriend the singer compares love to religion because he felt that being in love was kind of like the death of everything. He felt as though if he saw himself through his lovers eyes everything he believed about himself was gone - in a death and rebirth kind of sense.
Did you know?
- The song entered the Irish Singles Chart in October 2013 and reached number two, where it stayed for four weeks.
- The song has peaked at number 7 on the US Alternative Songs Chart, number 9 on the US Hot Rock Songs Chart and number 75 on the US Billboard Hot 100 Chart.
- Andrew Hozier-Byrne (born 17 March 1990), known simply as Hozier, is an Irish musician from Bray, County Wicklow.
- The son of a musician, he began a degree in music at Trinity College, Dublin, but dropped out midway through his first year in order to record demos for Universal Music.
- He was a member of Anúna from 2009 to 2012, and appears as a soloist on their 2012 release Illumination singing "La Chanson de Mardi Gras".
- He considers his influences to be blues music, “Motown and gospel and Delta blues and jazz, so a huge amount of my influences are all African-American music”.