She’s under the spell of her lover and wants to "Break Free" before he breaks her heart. She’s becoming strong enough to be her own person and end the relationship.
Did you know?
- In a May 2014 interview during which he talked about "Break Free," Zedd spoke about wanting to collaborate with Grande after hearing her voice for the first time at a Universal showcase. He said, "I was backstage and I heard someone sing. And I didn't know who it was, and I just said 'I want to make a song with whoever is singing right now.' I didn't know who it was, and it turned out being her. And luckily, now there's a song!"
- In the United States, "Break Free" debuted at number 15 on the Billboard Hot 100 with 161,000 downloads sold in its first week. It also reached number 1 on the Billboard Dance/Electronic Digital Songs chart.
- The video was inspired by science fiction films Barbarella and Star Wars, and space in general.
- Grande is scheduled to perform the song at the 31st annual MTV Video Music Awards, on August 24, 2014.
- Ariana Grande-Butera (known professionally as Ariana Grande) was born June 26, 1993 and raised in Boca Raton, Florida.
- Grande made her acting debut in 2008, playing the role of Charlotte in 13 on Broadway. From 2010 to 2013, she played Cat Valentine on the Nickelodeon sitcom Victorious and reprised the role on the spinoff Sam & Cat (2013–14).
- Her elder half-brother Frankie is an actor, dancer and producer, and a contestant on season sixteen of Big Brother.
- Grande has cited Whitney Houston, Gloria Estefan, Madonna, Destiny's Child, Fergie, Christina Aguilera, India Arie, Imogen Heap, and Amy Winehouse as influences.
- At the age of ten, Grande co-founded the South Florida youth singing group Kids Who Care, which performed for charitable fund-raising events, raising over $500,000 for charities in 2007 alone.